Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Corner 5/2013


I just finished reading The Hope by Herman Wouk. You may remember the TV min-series that came out a few years ago called Winds of War and War and Remembrance; these were based on books written by Herman Wouk as well. In The Hope, the setting is the span of Israel’s history between 1948 and the stunning victory of the Six-Day War in 1967. The characters are prominent men and women of the day, such as Eshkol, Abba Eban, Ben Gurion, Golda Meir, and Moshe Dayan, plus fictional men and women in the army and government. As in his other novels, there is an excellent portrayal of history but with characters that are intertwined in messy relationships, politics, intrigue, and nation-building. For me it epitomized Israel’s current dilemma. As they live out Israel’s plan in history, they ignore the words of the Bible and suffer the consequences. Both secular and religious groups miss the mark of Torah which is the establishment of the Kingdom by the Messiah, Yeshua.

Other books that I’m reading or just finished are: The Hobbit (my third time; I’ve read the trilogy at least five times) in preparation for the movie, which was excellent. This sparked my interest again in Tolkien so I purchased J.R.R. Tolkien: The man behind the Hobbits for the Kindle - which is a series of essays by various people who either knew him or researched him. It reminded me of a time in England seven years ago when I attended a church service near Oxford and talked with an older woman who attended one of his lectures. I also had supper at a pub/restaurant on the Thames near Oxford where Tolkien and C.S. Lewis often visited.  Speaking of Lewis, I also saw Lewis’ home and walked through the property behind his house that went to the top of a hill. Later I walked through the old church grounds where he is buried. It was inspiring to walk the streets of Oxford and the English countryside knowing that these two great authors were inspired by the same sights. 

I’m currently reading Damascus Countdown by Joel C. Rosenberg on my Kindle. It is as good as his other novels; fast moving and very current. He is a strong voice for the Messianic believer and for Israel.

And then there is my novel which I’ve been working on. I will end this post with two paragraphs that continue the story where I left off....

After dinner while everyone was getting ready for the usual gathering around the fire, Heinrich said to his mother when they were alone, “Mother I’d like to get your input on something. When it comes time for Rebekah to leave, I’m thinking of offering to take her to the nearest city where she can hopefully get a carriage to take her to Poland. This would remove any suspicion that might otherwise come if she left from Wittenberg and would keep her safe along the way. My first concern is that we should probably have another person with us – just for the appearance of it all.” Freyda responded, first with a motherly angle. “I think it’s safe to say that you like Rebekah and so my first concern is for the impropriety that needs to be safeguarded against. I’m also concerned, as your mother, how you feel and conduct yourself. If taking her by wagon is the best way for her to get to Poland, then a chaperone is in order. I like her too and I would certainly not be opposed to you and her becoming more than friends, but these are unusual times and there are two different families that do not know much about each other. I wouldn’t want either one of you to get hurt. I know you are probably thinking that I did the same type of thing when I was younger, and I do see some of the same daring in her personality that was in mine, but you can’t use that as an excuse to act irresponsibly. I’m not saying you are – oh dear, I suppose I’ll never be able to live down the example of my daring exploits! 

Then too, Rebekah appears to have a definite plan and probably doesn't want to add the complexity of a relationship at this time. Why don’t you let me talk to her and I’ll try to assess her feelings on these things. Your overtures may not be subtle enough. As to the chaperone, that would have to be Sarah or me and we’ll have to figure out who is best to go. I’m not sure if I’m ready for a new adventure yet – though things are starting to get more interesting to be sure.” Heinrich waited patiently through his mother’s talk and then said, “Nothing much slips past you does it? Yes, I do like her – a lot – though I don’t know what I can do about it. I was hoping to keep something alive between us. Thanks for your input and whatever you can gather from her would help.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment