Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Ezekiel Chronicles - continued

Psalm 86:15 says "But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, Slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth."

God was married to Israel and Israel was unfaithful and played the harlot. The book of Hosea is all about showing God's patience and forgiveness to such a wife. Ezekiel mentions this adultery and rebellious spirit several times.

Ezekiel 6:8 "I have been hurt by their adulterous hearts which turned away from Me, and by their eyes which played the harlot after their idols; and they will loathe themselves in their own sight for the evils which they have committed, for all their abominations."

But there is a point where even God's patience runs out.

When the God of the Universe wants to emphasize something in scripture, He repeats Himself. If you are the recipient of bad news, you don't want to hear God repeat the coming doom.

That is what chapters 5 through 7 is all about. The following phrases are repeated several times, in the midst of differing diatribes:

  • Sword, famine, and plague...
  • Moreover...
  • My eye will have no pity on you...
  • You will know that I the LORD have spoken...
Ezekiel 6:11
“Thus says the Lord GOD, ‘Clap your hand, stamp your foot and say, “Alas, because of all the evil abominations of the house of Israel, which will fall by sword, famine and plague!

Ezekiel 7:1-4: Moreover, the word of the L ORD came to me saying, 2 “And you, son of man, thus says the Lord GOD to the land of Israel, ‘An end! The end is coming on the four corners of the land. 3 Now the end is upon you, and I will send My anger against you; I will judge you according to your ways and bring all your abominations upon you. 4 For My eye will have no pity on you, nor will I spare you,

Ezekiel 7:9 "then you will know that I, the LORD, do the smiting.

Yet, for all this, the promise of a remnant is given:

Ezekiel 6:8 “However, I will leave a remnant, for you will have those who escaped the sword among the nations when you are scattered among the countries."


This last pronouncement reaches even unto us, right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment