Monday, March 12, 2018

Prague Rendezvous - a sneak preview


I've been absent from this blog far too long. I started my first book here (Wittenberg Encounter - available on Amazon Kindle in ebook and paperback) some nine years ago and I'm going to put some of the second here starting now. The second one is called Prague Rendezvous, Book 2 in the Intriguing Love series. I'm almost done with it and I hope to publish it soon. In order for you to make sense of the second one, you need to read the first one! So I greatly encourage you to buy the first one - not so I can get money from it, but because I think the message is important. I plan five novels in this series. You can learn more about that at www.intriguingLove.blogspot.com

Back home in Wittenberg

May 22, 1522
Wittenberg, Germany  

Across the Saxony countryside, evening was diffusing its shadows. The sun’s parting show was coloring the clouds with lavender and purples, but Freyda was distracted more by the approaching black of the night. Where was the wagon bearing her children? She sat down and decided to keep busy by tending to supper. Thinking ahead, she had a pot of stew cooking on the stove and some fresh bread that just came out of the oven. She was stirring the stew when she heard something outside. She quickly went to the crown glass window and was overjoyed to see, through a partly clear corner, the wagon turning onto their property.

Out the door she went, filled with thankfulness and relief. She could see that they were smiling as much as she and were no doubt very glad to be home. The wagon stopped and Heinrich helped Sarah down to the open arms of their mother.

“Oh, I’m so glad to see you!” said Freyda, as she hugged them both.

Sarah said, “We’re so glad to see you too! It was a long ride.”

Heinrich said, “It’s good to be home…. Love you Mom. I’ll take care of the horse, as well as myself, and I’ll be right in.”

“Alright. Sarah and I will take your things into the house. Supper’s ready, so come right in as soon as you can.”

“Will do.”

After securing the horse and wagon, Heinrich cleaned up for the evening and came in. He was glad to experience the familiar smells of home and then to take his seat at the table. Heinrich said a prayer and they all enjoyed the home-cooked meal.

Midway through it, Freyda asked, “How did the trip go?”

Heinrich summarized the time, “It was a good, safe trip – we made it to Juterbog in time to get two rooms at an inn and were able to get Rebekah onto a coach this morning.  The three of us talked about a lot of things in the wagon – including one important thing I need to tell you about.” He waited a few seconds. “I asked Rebekah to marry me.”

Freyda leaned back in her chair with a deep, pondering look on her face. Sarah didn’t feel she should say anything, so she waited to hear what her Mother would say. “I see. I thought something like this could happen. We probably should have talked about this before you left. What did she say?”

“Last night, in her and Sarah’s room, she said ‘yes’. 

No comments:

Post a Comment