Friday, May 8, 2015

Now it’s my turn to ask some questions



In a few minutes Rebekah said, “Now it’s my turn to ask some questions.”

“I guess that’s fair enough,” said Heinrich. 

She began, “The way Judaism defines things, you are Jewish because your mother is Jewish. If we were to marry, would you be Jewish, as in would our household practice those things which a Jewish family would do, at least one that believes that Yeshua is the Messiah?” 

This caused Heinrich to take stock of a few things. As his mind raced among competing emotions and issues, such as what would it be like to be married to Rebekah?, what would being Jewish really mean?, what if we had children?, finally he said, “I haven’t really thought that through; I guess I’ve been so focused on you. But interesting things come to mind. I would need a lot of instruction - but that comes easy for you and I’d love to receive it. This is new territory, believing that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah. Why, you are probably still figuring it out.” 

“It’s true,” said Rebekah - “not only is it new, it’s lonely; because there are so few of us.“ 

“You wouldn’t be lonely if I was there.” He hoped she found that comforting. Heinrich added, “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but what about children?”

Rebekah replied, “The big fear, of course, is assimilation. Losing my Jewishness and passing who knows what down to Heinrich Junior.” At that she smiled, looked at Heinrich and felt a hormonal sensation in her body. 

She didn’t know it, but Heinrich felt his own kind of sensation as he answered, “If you mean, would we observe Jewish holidays and Sabbaths, have our sons circumcised, and eat Biblically, then I’m open to that. But each of these times and events would need to be observed from the perspective of how it applies to..” he quickly substituted, “Yeshua.”

Rebekah continued, “Since you brought the subject up, I’ve already asked your Mother and she said you were circumcised on the eighth day.” 

Heinrich did a double take on that and literally opened his mouth in surprise. His befuddlement urged Rebekah on. 


“You probably don’t know all the details, but right after you were born, your Mother brought you on a trip to a sympathetic mohel who agreed to circumcise you privately. To do this at all was risky because most Gentile boys were not circumcised in Germany. So you are official.” 

She said it matter of fact-like and Heinrich was at a loss for words, but managed to stammer, “You did, I mean, she did... Oh my, So that explains it... I always wondered about that.” He was anxious to change the subject, “Do you have any other questions?”

No comments:

Post a Comment